Venice

Venice

I started a tour of Croatia with a day and a half in Venice – and I made the most of every second. I fell in love with this wonderful city all over again. The February weather was crisp and clear and the crowds relatively small. As I always discover, street maps of Venice bear no relationship to reality – but what a charming city to get lost in!!!

Having spent hours at the excellent “Titian, Tintoretto and Veronese” exhibit at the MFA last year, I had a whole new appreciation for the Renaissance artists Venice is best known for. All three artists, as well as Bellini, are well represented at the Ca’d’Oro, Accademia, and Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari. The Scuola Grande di San Rocco is considered Tintoretto’s masterpiece by many – two entire floors (including the ceiling of the second floor) depicting his magnificent, tumultuous vision of the Old and New Testaments. I enjoyed modern art at Ca’ Pesaro, contemporary art at the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, and poked my nose into every open church door I came across -- ending with the always breath-taking Basilica di San Marco.

Mimi Santini-Ritt 2011