Japanese Alps


                                                         Kenrokuen Garden, Kanazawa

I’ve always wanted to see the Japanese Alps, so with three extra days in Kyoto I headed north. I started in Kanazawa, renowned for its superb Kenrokuen Garden. The leaves had just started to turn, and the gardeners had already erected the famous conical rope snow-protecting structures over some of the ancient pines. Kanazawa has several interesting museums as well as a castle and intact Edo period geisha and samurai districts. Oyama Shrine is delightful – a classic Japanese shrine with an elegant garden entered through a bizarre Victorian 3-story gate, the top story of which has stained-glass windows. One day wasn’t nearly enough time for Kanazawa.

Next stop: Shirakawa-go. I arrived on the 6:00 pm bus, and the village was pitch black. The information desk was just closing down, but the info guy was kind enough to loan me a much-needed flashlight and a very detailed map of the area. I was horrified the next day to see the long suspension bridge I had traveled across, unknowingly, in the dark.


Shirakawa-go is most likely the closest I’ll ever get to Brigadoon. Truly a village that looks like it has been forgotten by time (until the hordes of leaf-peepers arrived mid-morning.) It is a World Heritage site, known for its thatched “gassho” (praying hands) roofed farmhouses. At this point I was far enough north and into the mountains so that the autumn leaves were in full glory, making an indescribably charming village even more captivating. I stayed at Kanja (about $90), one of the gassho minshukus, (dinner-bed-and-breakfasts). The meals were scrumptious: many small courses of delectable tidbits. The area is particularly known for thin slices of Hida beef (every region in Japan has its Kobe-beef equivalent, all equally melt-in-your-mouth and divine) cooked with vegetables and a miso-based sauce atop a magnolia leaf on individual grills. After dinner, I had a rejuvenating long hot soak in a traditional Japanese deep cypress bath tub. Awesome!

 Lastly, I visited Takayama, a city with extensive historical districts, a hillside temple and shrine walk (from whence its nickname of “Little Kyoto”), and extraordinarily vivid fall foliage. Although it pains this New Englander to admit it, I’ve never seen more arresting fall colors. I splurged ($175) and stayed at the Takayama Green Hotel. While there, guests do everything (including dine – more Hida beef!) in yukatas (bathrobes) provided for their use. The hotel has hotsprings, and the two onsens (spas) are quite luxurious, each with 2 indoor and 2 outdoor baths.

Mimi Santini-Ritt 2008