Ireland

Blarney Castle

This trip was a real quickie -- Roger and 3 of his cronies were in a golf tournament at the Old Head in Kinsale, Ireland so we went for a long weekend. The guys decided that it would be most expedient to hire a car and driver rather than trying to manage the combination of pubs and driving on the wrong side of the road, so while they were on the golf course, I had said car and driver all to myself. My idea of heaven! Every remote cairn, pillar stone, dolmen, stone ring, and ancient fort in Counties Cork and Kerry were within my grasp, and I think I managed to see them all. Unfortunately, these do not tend to be tourist meccas, so I often found myself tramping through pastures full of cows or sheep to obtain my objective. Need I mention that Gary (the driver) thought I was nuts?

It takes a long time to get from point A to point B in Ireland, as their idea of a super highway consists of a 2 lane road with shoulders. Hence, my striking distance had a fairly short radius centered on Kinsale, a very scenic town with a beautiful harbor (main industries: tourism and fishing) on the south coast. In my wanderings, we passed through many such small towns and villages, each absolutely charming. Several sported signs proclaiming proudly that they had won a "Tidy Town Award." A few stone buildings (city halls, churches) from Norman times or slightly later dominate the towns, while the stores and houses are painted an extravagant array of colors that anywhere else would be garish (Turquoise! Hot pink! Scarlet! Kelly green! All with contrasting trim and huge hanging baskets and window boxes of brightly colored flowers). The countryside is lush pastureland, full of cows and sheep, pastures separated from each other by hedgerows. We were there when the fuchsia was in full bloom -- I've never seen anything like it. Entire hedges, 10 feet tall, of fuchsia. Scattered throughout the land are the odd manor house, ruined castle, rustic cottage, and trim farm. We drove the Ring of Kerry one day -- breathtaking scenery of mountains and bays. (Oh happy quaintness -- I saw people cutting turf for fuel!) And yes, I went to Blarney Castle and kissed the Blarney Stone.

I visited several museums, each of which consisted of about 2 actual artifacts, a multi-media show, a lot of posters, and a recreation ("Feel what it's like to be on a coffin ship!"). By the end of my trip, I discovered that quite by happenstance I'd made a Michael Collins pilgrimage -- I'd seen his birthplace, 3 houses he'd lived in, his school, and the site of his ambush, all because they were just a short bit off the road.

I also toured extensively (Twice! Once in rain and once in sunshine) the Old Head. What an incredible golf course. Almost makes me wish I could play. It's on a spit of land jutting into the ocean and has everything from a working 1853 lighthouse, 2 ruined lighthouses (18th and 17th centuries), Norman fortifications, and a pirate cove to a bird sanctuary comprising a number of caves, one of which tunnels right through the neck of land connecting the Old Head to the main land. Every hole has a water view, one more breath-taking than the last. No wonder Roger loves to play there. I will not mention how the tournament itself went...

Mimi Santini-Ritt 2003