Rome - Palazzo Doria Pamphily

Rome

I was in Rome recently and visited a small gallery that was quite wonderful. The tip to go there came from the book Making the Mummies Dance, by Thomas Hoving (former Director of the Metropolitan Museum of Art), which is the summer read of my Museum book group. Hoving refers to a painting in this gallery, a portrait of Pope Innocent X by Diego Velazquez, as "the most successful portrait in Western Art." After reading this, I decided I would try to see this picture when in Rome. The gallery is easy to get to--on the Via del Corso, #305. The price of admission includes the use of an audio guide, which is great as the history of the place is explained by one of the family descendents, who still lives on the upper floors of the palazzo. The painting did not disappoint--and there is an equally spectacular Caravaggio, Rest during the Flight to Egypt, among other masterpieces. As mobbed as the Vatican museum was that day in early July, this lovely palazzo was pleasantly not crowded. I had the Valazquez all to myself.
305 Via del Corso
Rome 

2012 - Sue Dadd